Dorial Green-Beckham, Wide Receiver, Accused of Pushing a Woman Down the Stairs

Dec 8 2015, 4:00pm

via USA Today Sports

Position: Wide receiver
Height / Weight: 6'5" / 237 lbs
College: University of Missouri, University of Oklahoma
NFL draft: 2015 / Round: 2 / Pick: 40
Career history: Tennessee Titans (2015–present)

In April 2014, Dorial Green-Beckham was investigated by the Columbia Police Department in Missouri for domestic violence after allegedly breaking into the home of two women, who were friends of his then-girlfriend, and allegedly assaulting one of them and his then-girlfriend. According to the police report, on April 6, 2014, Green-Beckham, looking for his then-girlfriend, went to the women's home and pushed open the door with such force that it made a hole in the wall. After he allegedly unlawfully entered the home, Green-Beckham allegedly pushed one woman with both hands, causing her to fall down the stairs.

The responding officer applied for an arrest warrant for Green-Beckham for burglary.

Later that day, according to the police report, the two women went to the Columbia Police Department and said they no longer wanted to press charges against Green-Beckham for burglary. According to the police report, one of the women stated "she was afraid of the media and community backlash since Green-Beckham is a football player for the University of Missouri and is probably going to be in the NFL draft soon."

One of the alleged victims then showed the officer text messages she had been exchanging with Green-Beckham's girlfriend that day. The text messages, which were included in the police report, said:

Dorial was wrong in every way and you have every right to be furious. I'm not sticking up for him but football really is all he has going for him and pressing charges would ruin it for him completely... I can't do this anymore. Now he's hurting my friends not just me... I understand how upset you are. I am too—he drug me out by by my kneck [sic] and hurt me too... He will be kicked out of Mizzou [sic] and not qualify for the draft next year. The coaches talked to me and explained how serious this is... [J]ust say we all had a lot to drink and what not and everything is fine.

The case was reassigned to the Domestic Violence Enforcement Unit. An investigator contacted Green-Beckham's then-girlfriend and interviewed her about the texts and asked her if Green-Beckham had been violent and if she had been contacted by the coaching department at the University of Missouri.

She told the investigator that she had been drinking and didn't remember sending the texts.

The girlfriend's mother then contacted the investigator and told the investigator to stop contacting her daughter. According to the police report, the mother said "she had been living with this kind of stuff most of her life and she believed that her daughter being an adult could make her choice as to whether she wanted to live the same kind of life she did, or not."

The next day, the same officer followed up with witnesses of the April 6 alleged incident. One was a man who had made a call to 911 at the time stating that he saw male "manhandling a woman." Another was a neighbor who had given an interview about the incident to a local paper, in which he told a reporter that, immediately following the incident, Green-Beckham's teammates told him not to call the cops. When the officer asked him about that statement he said that he had been misquoted in the paper and that he did not see anybody do anything wrong.

The case was closed without an arrest, "primarily because of reluctant witnesses."

Green-Beckham did not return Broadly's request for comment.